Saturday, July 31, 2010

Tanzania

Hello world. It's been awhile since I last wrote on this blog; I was still in SA. If I only had the motivation and time I would have written about a fantastic garden route road trip, Jeffrey's Bay ( the SA surfing Mecca), a fantastic 3rd v. 4th place match, the Karoo, Kimberley diamonds and more. Instead you get to read about my safari in Tanzania. Anyone who has been on an African safari knows the thrill of seeing you first wild animals. Baboons walk across the road and your guides urge you to close your windows when departing the jeep as those crazy baboons will gladly reach in and swipe your things. By day three of the safari baboons are like minus points, you don't even mention them to the others in the jeep. Other animals that lost their luster include gazelles, storks, monkeys and more gazelles. My favorite safari spot the Serengeti! Classic Africa and a lot like the lion king. Damn Elton John song was in my head for many days. The Serengeti plains are grassy and yellowed at this time of year. Despite the excellent camouflage of the animals we still saw lions, cheetahs and one very surprise leopard. Heck I was surprised too, it was merely a few feet to the side of me when we drove by around dawn. Later we noticed the Thompson gazelle that the leopard drug up the tree to save for snacking later. About 35 feet up the tree, there it was a dead animal limply hanging. That was as close as we got to seeing a kill. Though our group was blessed with following some stalking lions slowly in a caravan of other jeeps. Eventually the lions laid down and relaxed like all lions do... for oh about 20 hours of the day. Ah to be a lion, lying around. Expect more infrequent posts as I soon leave to try and conquer Kilimanjaro.

No comments:

Post a Comment