Sunday, July 4, 2010

Capetown

I must say that Cape Town is far superior to Jozi. There is an active nightlife for locals and tourists based on and around Longstreet, the bourbon street of Cape Town. I have spent the last couple of nights with friends from Rosebank lodge including: Tim an American who took the effort to try and understand cricket last night, Chris the German/Portuguese Canadian in transit to a job in Oz, Tyler a Harvard grad who somehow still has collared shirts which look clean and pressed, and three British lads Dan, Scott and Silver; travelers on a shoestring with great humor and clearly up for the adventure. All of which I originally met in Jozi. This instant group of friends has made life easier and enjoyable. During my days I have been trying to see the sights and have seen many. The Castle of Good Hope was interesting though it lacked the grandeur of a European castle, it is more of a fort than a castle. I watched the key ceremony and "traditional guards" fire a cannon, though the cannon was maybe an unimpressive 10 inches in length. Table Mountain was also a pleasure, and quite a work out. I was about to kick myself halfway up because I was too cheap to take the cable car one way! The views are spectacular even with the low visibility that was present when I was at the top. Fortunately, I survived and am considering going again. It was the first real exercise I had in a month aside from constant walking. Robben's Island was a must see for me, and I worked my way onto a full ferry by purchasing a ticket from a tourist who had too many. The perks of being a lone traveler. The island itself is nothing impressive, but the stories present in the cells are worth the visit alone. My favorite being the one about a prisoner who actually created a master key and unlocked his cell at night, only to realize he had trouble locking it again. Thus he spent all night trying to lock himself back in his own cell. Needless to say I recommend Cape Town, like all the travelers I ran into before I got here. Soon, I will be heading to Port ELizabeth or PE for short to enjoy the 3rd and 4th place match, with Camilo and Ivette (two more Rosebankers; more about them later).

No comments:

Post a Comment